School of Mathematical Sciences
For Research Students
Research: Sanjeeva Balasuriya
I am interested in problems which lie at the interface between mathematics and
its applications. The projects I work on usually emerge directly from physical or
biological instances. While using mathematical methods is ideally highly
attractive in better understanding underlying mechanisms and their effects, it is often necessary to also use computational methods
to investigate problems intractable to analysis, or to supplement theoretical results.
I also work on developing and extending mathematical theories, as motivated
I am a member of the Mathematics and Climate Research
Network, an international group based in the United States.
- Applied analysis
- Dynamical systems
- Fluid mechanics
- Geophysical fluid mechanics
- Mathematical ecology
- Stochastic differential equations
- Mathematical modelling
- Ordinary differential equations
- Partial differential equations
- Combustion waves
- Reaction-diffusion systems
- Computational methods
Awards and Grants
- Endeavour Research Leadership Award, presented by the Australian Government Department of Education
and Training (2019)
- Future Fellowship, awarded by the
Australian Research Council, ''Flow structures and transport: Predictability and control'' (2014-2018)
J.H. Michell Medal, presented by the
Australia and New
Zealand Industrial and Applied Mathematics (ANZIAM) Society   (2006)
- Collaboration grant for mathematicians,
Foundation, USA (2012-2017)
- Discovery Grant (jointly with N.-T. Nguyen, A. Nguyen, G. Evans, E. Bormashenko, O. Gendelman and J. Ekberg),
Australian Research Council, ''Engineering floating liquid marbles for three-dimensional cell cultures'' (2017-2020)
- Plenary speaker,
ANZIAM Conference,   Sydney (2008)
- Stella Dafermos Award, Brown University, USA (1996)
- Barge Mathematics Prize, Lafayette College, USA (1989,1990)
Calls for Papers
Recent and Forthcoming Activities (2016-)
- Visiting researcher, Technische Universiteit Eindhoven, The Netherlands (July 2019 to January 2020).
- Co-organiser (with Michel Speetjens )
of Minisymposium on "Scalar transport in fluids: beyond mixing by chaotic advection," SIAM Conference on Applications of Dynamical Systems, Snowbird, Utah, USA
Minisymposium on "Data-driven prediction and modeling in geophysical fluid dynamics," SIAM Conference on Applications of Dynamical Systems, Snowbird, Utah, USA
- Invited participant, Workshop on Dynamical Systems: Theory and Applications, Blackheath, NSW, Australia (November 2018).
- Speaker, Workshop in
Stochastic Analysis, Australian National University, Canberra (November 2018).
- Invited speaker, Joint Australia-Japan Workshop on Dynamical Systems with Applications in Life Sciences, Biei, Japan (July 2018).
- Invited speaker, 11th MSJ-SI Symposium on
the Role of Metrics in the Theory of Partial Differential Equations, Hokkaido University, Japan (July 2018).
- Co-organiser (with Michel Speetjens )
of Minisymposium on "Lagrangian methods for scalar transport in porous media," InterPore (International Society for Porous Media Annual Conference), New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
- Speaker, DynamIC seminar, Imperial College, UK (January 2018).
- Speaker, Special Session on "Ergodic Theory and Dynamical Systems," Australian Mathematical
Society Conference, Sydney, NSW, Australia (December 2017).
- Invited participant, Workshop on Dynamical Systems: Theory and Applications, Blackheath, NSW, Australia (November 2017).
- Co-organiser (with Marko Budisic ), Minisymposium on
"Recent advances in characterization of nonautonomous dynamical transport," SIAM Conference on Applications of Dynamical Systems, Snowbird, Utah, USA (May 2017).
- Co-organiser (with Daan Crommelin ,
Gary Froyland ,
Adam Monahan ,
Nick Ouellette and
Laure Zanna ), Workshop on Transport in Unsteady Flows: From
Deterministic Structures to Stochastic Models and Back Again, Banff International
Research Station, Canada (January 2017).
- Invited participant,
Workshop on Advances in Ergodic Theory, Hyperbolic Dynamics and Statistical Laws, Australian National
University, Canberra (November 2016).
- Speaker, Annual Meeting of the American Physical Society, Division of Fluids Dynamics,
Portland, Oregon, USA (November 2016).
- Speaker, Information Technology and Mathematical Science Seminar, University of South Australia (September 2016).
- Organising committee, Conference on Ordinary
Differential Equations and Dynamical Systems (CODEDS), Suzou, China (July 2016).
- Co-organiser (with Gary Froyland ), Special Session on "Mixing in Dynamical System: Theory, Modeling and Applications, from Micro- to
Geophysical Scales," 11th AIMS Conference on Dynamical Systems, Differential Equations and Applications, Orlando, Florida, USA (July 2016).
- Speaker, International Workshop on Fluid-Structure Interaction Problems, National University of Singapore (May/June 2016).
- Invited participant, AmeriMech Symposium on Fluid Transport and
Nonlinear Dynamics, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute, USA (May 2016).
- Speaker, PDE/Applied Math Seminar, University of Maryland-College Park, USA (February 2016).
- Speaker, David A. Walsh '67 Arts and Sciences Seminar, Clarkson University, USA (February 2016).
- Speaker, Environmental and Fluid Mechanics Seminar, Stanford University, USA (January 2016).
Selected Past Activities (-2015)
- Speaker, Physical Oceanography Seminar, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, USA (June 2015).
- Speaker, Session on "Dynamical Systems, Ergodic Theory and Applications," Canadian Mathematical Society
Summer Meeting, Prince Edward Island, Canada (June 2015).
- Speaker, Applied and Computational Mathematics Seminar, Department of Mathematics, University of Wisconsin-Madison, USA (May 2015).
- 3 week visit to work with Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique
physical oceanographers at the Laboratoire de Glaciologie et Géophysique de l'Environnement at Grenoble, France (March 2015).
- Speaker, Workshop on Set-Oriented Numerics, University of Canterbury, New Zealand (September 2014).
- Speaker, Séminaire, Laboratoire de Météorologie Dynamique, École Normale
Supérieure, Paris, France (July 2014).
- Co-organiser (with Kathrin Padberg-Gehle and Wenbo Tang ), Special Session on "Transport barriers in unsteady fluid flows," 10th AIMS Conference on Dynamical Systems, Differential Equations and Applications, Madrid, Spain (July 2014).
- Speaker, DynamIC seminar, Imperial College, UK (July 2014).
- Co-organiser (with George Haller , Nicholas Ouellette and Vered Rom-Kedar), Workshop on Mixing, Transport and Coherent Structures, Mathematisches Forschungsinstitut Oberwolfach, Oberwolfach, Germany (January/February 2014).
- Co-organiser (with Jim Meiss )
of Minisymposium on "Nonautonomous Dynamics and Invariant Manifolds: Recent Progress in Theory and Applications," SIAM Conference on Applications of Dynamical Systems, Snowbird, Utah, USA
- Speaker, Mathematisches Seminar, Technische Universität Dresden,
Germany (March 2013).
- Speaker, Analysis, Dynamics and Applications Seminar, University of
Arizona, Tucson, USA (November 2012).
- Speaker at Minisymposium on "Transport and Metastability in Open and Time-dependent Dynamical Systems," 7th International Congress on Industrial
and Applied Mathematics, Vancouver, Canada (July 2011).
- Co-organiser (with Arjen Doelman , Tasso Kaper , Joceline Lega and Björn Sandstede ), Conference on Geometric Methods for Infinite-Dimensional Dynamical Systems, Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, USA (November 2011).
Collaborators (Past and Present)
- Ben Binder
(University of Adelaide, Australia)
- Mark Blyth
(University of East Anglia, UK)
- Erik Bollt
(Clarkson University, USA)
- Matt Finn (formerly of the University of Adelaide, Australia)
- Gary Froyland
(University of New South Wales, Australia)
- Georg Gottwald
(University of Sydney, Australia)
- Peter van Heijster
(Queensland University of Technology, Australia)
- John Hornibrook (former Masters student, University of Sydney)
- Chris Jones
(University of North Carolina, USA)
- Rahul Kalampattel (University of Adelaide)
- Stéphane Lafortune
(College of Charleston, South Carolina, USA)
- Julien Le Sommer (Laboratoire de Glaciologie
et Géophysique de l'Environnement, Grenoble, France)
- Zhilin Li (North Carolina State University, USA)
- Charlie Macaskill (retired from the University of Sydney, Australia)
Mezić (University of California, Santa Barbara, USA)
Pat Miller (Stevens Institute of Technology, New Jersey, USA)
Nam-Trung Nguyen (Queensland Micro- and Nanotechnology Centre, Australia)
- Nick Ouellette (Stanford University, USA)
Kathrin Padberg-Gehle (Leuphana Universität, Germany)
Irina Rypina (Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, USA)
Björn Sandstede (Brown University, USA)
Naratip Santitissadeekorn (University of Surrey, UK)
- Lotte Sewalt (formerly at Leiden University, The Netherlands)
Vladimir Volpert (Northwestern University, USA)
- Li Zhang (Shandong University, China)
Publications List: Available